Mechanical Project Engineer
FMB Oxford is currently seeking a Mechanical Project Engineer to join our existing team. The position requires a competent and motivated Project Engineer with experience in managing the delivery of significant multidiscipline projects.
- Understanding and interpreting customer’s requirements, communication with customers both verbally and in writing.
- Preparing functional specifications.
- Reviewing designs for technical and commercial compliance and sustainability for manufacturing.
- Preparing calculations and analysis to support design concepts.
- Defining tests specifications and participating in factory verifications of specifications.
- Preparing unambiguous complete manufacturing information, including Bills of Material, Route Cards, work instructions etc.
- Liaison with vendors and sub-contractors regarding the supply of products and services.
- Managing identified projects in terms of schedule, cost and quality.
- Monitor project progress and ensure there are sufficient resources to achieve agreed milestones.
- Monitor expenditure of time and materials against budget and report variances.
- Work closely with the design and operations teams to achieve timely delivery of high quality projects and ensure that project related information is up to date.
- Maintain good communication with customer during project execution, including preparation of monthly progress reports and project plans and coordination of external reviews and factory visits.
- Manage changes to project scope and timescales.
- Maintain adequate records of all customer communication.
- Provide leadership to the workshop in the build phase of the project.
- Preparing User Manuals and as-built documentation.
- Attend customer sites to participate in reviews and manage installations, as required.
- Plan and coordinate all site activities and liaise with customers, technicians, engineers, scientists and others.
- Prepare plans for working on customer sites, including OH&S documentation.
- Report project status, risks and forward planning to the senior management.
- Participating in and supporting on-site installations, commissioning and hand-over to the customer.
- Provide technical consultancy for project management aspects of FMBO’s products.
- Participating in initiatives to drive the company’s products forwards.
- Defining design standards and standardised techniques appropriate to FMBO.
- Experience in managing significant projects or programmes.
- Product experience in high precision mechanics and motions.
- Ability to carry out design, analysis and/or calculations.
- Wide experience of design and build processes, knowledge of drawing standards.
- The confidence and credibility to lead the projects.
- Ability to plan across multiple projects and tasks.
- Ability to check and validate engineering designs.
- Ability to prepare and manage engineering budgets.
- Knowledge of drawing standards and design processes.
- Ability to work within ISO 9001 Quality Standards.
- Mechanical engineering knowledge relevant to beamline products including, high precision mechanics and motions, ultra high vacuum and metrology. Deeper knowledge in at least one of these areas is required.
- Familiarity with 3D modelling and CAD packages (e.g. Solid Edge).
- Experience of using Microsoft Project or similar software
- Familiarity with of UHV design.
- Familiarity with electrical design and control systems.
Degree level qualification in Design or Mechanical Engineering would be beneficial and experience in relevant industry desirable. A professional approach to working with customers, work colleagues and management is also required.
If you have a background in mechanical project engineering and a desire to work with customers to define leading edge solutions we would like to hear from you.